Ad Code

Conditional Sentences / Clauses

 

  Conditional Sentences / Clauses

A▪︎ Introduction,
B▪︎ Examples,
C▪︎ Clauses And Types,
D▪︎ kinds Of Conditional Clauses Or Sentences,
E▪︎ Note.
A▪︎ Introduction-
Conditional Sentences are those Sentences which express some condition.  These Sentences have two clauses : the if clause and the main clause.
B▪︎Example
• If it rains( if clause ), I shall stay at home( main clause ).
                               OR
Conditional Sentences has an if clause and the main clause. The if clause ( the conditional clause ) usually comes first, but in some cases it can come after the main clause:
Example
• If the weather is fine ( if clause ), they will play the match ( main clause ).
• They will play the match (main clause), if the weather is fine ( if clause).
 
A comma is normally used after the clause, when the if clause comes first.
C▪︎ Clauses And Types-
Clause is a group of words that consist of subject and a verb. So we can say that, sentence is made up of small small clauses.
Examples- 
• I can speak French. ( I is subject and Can is a verb in this sentence ).
• I am happy. ( I is subject and am is a verb ).
• I remember what you did yesterday. ( I and you are subject, whereas remember and did are verbs ).
NOTE: In the above Sentences there are two Subjects and two verbs.
So we can say that this sentence is made up of two Clauses. 
There are TWO TYPES of Clauses-
▪︎ Independent Clause-
Independent clauses are those clauses that gives us complete information. They don't depend on other clause.
Examples- 
• My brother lives in Mumbai.
• Our planet revolves around the Sun.
So in the Sentences given above, My brother is a subject and lives is a verb. Whereas in the second sentence our planet is a subject and revolve is a verb.
▪︎ Dependent Clauses-
As from the name its very clear that, they need other clause to complete its meaning. 
Examples- 
• who is intelligent that is best seller, which lives in Lucknow. 
From the above sentence, it is not clear about whom they are talking. It means they need other clause to complete its meaning.  Whether it's noun, adjective or adverb clause.
D▪︎ Kinds Of Conditional Clauses Or Sentences-
1- Open Conditional Clauses-
Contain a condition that may or may not be fulfilled. In a clause of this type, there is no indication whether the condition is likely to be fulfilled or not. They are known as Open Conditional clauses or Factual conditional clauses.
Examples- 
• If he runs fast, he will catch the bus.
• If you call me, I shall come to you.( it is an open choice. Perhaps you will call me, or perhaps you will not call me ).
• If I have time, I shall come to your house. 
• I shall take an umbrella in case (if) it rains. 
• If you are weak, you should/must/ought to eat well.
• If it rains, I will not go out.
NOTES:
1- When we talk about a common occurrence, we use the simple present tense or the present Continuous tense in the Conditional clause and also in the main clause.
Example- 
• If a tap is leaking, it needs a new washer.
2- We can also use will in an if- clause when we make a request. 
Example- 
• If you'll just wait a moment, I'll fetch you the file.
3- We can use modal verbs( can, should) in the main clause.
Example- 
• If you need an umbrella, I can get you one.
2- Hypothetical Conditional Clauses-
Contains a condition that is not real. The condition stated is not likely to be fulfilled.  Such clauses are called Unreal or Hypothetical Conditional Clauses. 
The simple past tense of the verb is used in these Conditional Clauses. 
Example- 
• If we had money, we would buy a house.
• If I had five lakhs rupees, I would buy a car.
• If I were you, I would challenge him.
In the Sentences given above, the if- clause often refers to something unreal or imaginary. If I had five lakh rupees, means that I do not have really five lakh rupees, but I am only imagining it. 
NOTE:
1- The verb in the if-clause is in the simple past tense.
2- the if-clause takes were in the place of was( even with I and he/she/it. )
3- the verb in the main clause takes would, might, or could.
3- Impossible Or Conditional Clauses- With Unfulfilled Conditions In The Past 
Contain a condition that was not fulfilled in the past. In such Clauses, the past perfect form of the verb is used.
Example- 
• If she had eaten regularly, she would have been healthy. 
• If we had taken your advice, we would have saved time.
• If you had been there, I would have seen you. 
• If he had run fast, he would have caught the train. 
If I had known of you arrival, I would have met you at the station. 
The simple past form indicates an unreal or unlikely condition in the present or future point of time, whereas, the past perfect shows an unfulfilled Conditions in the past.
NOTE:
We can use could have or might have in the main clause.
Examples- 
• If I had bought a ticket yesterday, I might have won a prize. 
• If we had bought a computer, we could have worked this out in speed.

Attention:
If any doubts you can reach me through the comment section box and I will Get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you...





















Post a Comment

0 Comments

Close Menu